Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adventures with Daniel AKA Curious George

I decided I should share all the fun we are having with our crazy little monkey. He keeps me hopping from "son up to son down." That was actually on a fridge magnet my father-in-law gave me. Daniel can get into things faster than I can keep up so we have had to get creative on child proofing the house.
I am not always wide awake in the morning and when Danny gets up he likes a cup of milk. He often helps himself to the dishwasher where he knows he can find a clean cup. The only problem is that he gets distracted by the silverware on the door....and comes running to show me the sharp knives he found! The first of our safety measures involved rigging a locking latch on the dishwasher. One measure of sanity saved.
Next, as much as I hate to admit it, he is a garbage digger, and loves to throw things away whether they should be thrown away or not. The straw that broke the camels back: I made eggs for breakfast one morning. One of the eggs was stuck in the carton and exploded when I tried to lift it out. So I just threw away the whole carton, messy egg and all. You can I'm sure imagine what happened next. I returned to the kitchen later to find Daniel covered in egg mess, and my kitchen covered in egg mess! I called Tom and told him I didn't care how much it would cost I was buying a garbage can with a locking lid. He didn't even try to protest. A week later I was the happiest mom on the block. I love my new garbage can!!!!
I decided one day to sort through my sock drawer. I pulled it out and put it on the bed. I was distracted out of the room and when I came back I found this.

The drawer was empty of socks but full of trouble! It was one of those moments I could have gotten upset but instead decided to laugh and get the camera.
We have a habit of going to the library for story time and other activities. On Friday we went as usual and Danny was up to his usual trouble of pulling all the craft supplies out of the cupboards and screaming at me when I tried to get him to stay in the room and listen to the story. When we were getting ready to leave Johnny wanted to check out a DVD so I was helping him. When I turned around, Danny was gone. When I caught up to him he was on the elevator! By himself, headed who knows where. Luckily the janitor caught him and was holding the door open. I now understand the statement "It takes a community to raise a child." I had great empathy for the Man in the Yellow Hat" that day. And we have decided to nickname Daniel George.


This is how we go to the library now!

And last but not least, this is where I found Daniel this morning after I left him to do my hair.

I guess he decided it was a good day for breakfast in bed! Unfortunately that is my bed! Um, sticky pancakes!!!!!




2 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh Jessica. How are you staying sane?!? haha. At least your boys are amazingly cute! Just shows how smart they are with all that they get in to!

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Ahhhh! I need a lock on my dishwasher too. What is it with these boys, he gets into everything. Love the post, sounds just like James. I need to get my monkey harness/leash out more often. He refuses to hold my hand. Good Luck, are you coming down for any of the holidays? Love ya, they are so cute. - Lauralee